We are often getting questions from MDs willing to work in the US in the healthcare field. Here is some important information that can be useful.
1. Foreign or US MD diploma DOES NOT allow candidate to work as a nurse in the USA, unless the candidate also has a nursing diploma
. The nursing diploma can be either from accredited nursing program in any foreign country, or from US nursing school. Normally CGFNS only considers two-year nursing programs. }-check for updated information here:
There may exist special accelerated nursing programs for people with MD degrees that are shorter than two years.
Currently we do not have reliable information regarding this type of program in ex-USSR or other countries.
You might consider the accelerated program MD-to-Bachelor degree RN such as this: http://chua2.fiu.edu/Nursing/I_UG_MD...K/UGMD-BSN.htm
. You can also apply to one of the Master in Nursing degree programs that are open for candidates with Bachelor degree in non-nursing field. Please refer to this information: http://www.russiandoctors.org/forum/...ead.php?t=3173
2. MD diploma allows you to work in research field in US. It is not necessary to have PhD degree, although that helps to get a research position. Please refer to Research section of this Forum for more information.
3. MD diploma makes you eligible to practice medicine in US. In order to practice you must pass USMLE exams and go through the residency.
Please refer to USMLE Step1, 2, 3 and Residency sections of this Forum for more information.
4. MD can come to US as a student to study in the MPH, MBA, PhD or other type of college program. For more information please refer to Student section of this Forum.
If you are thinking about studying and working as Physician Assistant you might find these links helpful:
5. If you are already in the US and are looking for a job in the healthcare field, please keep in mind that every position in healthcare here requires some kind of certification.
There are entry-level positions that you can apply to after completing training courses or sometimes just after passing an exam. Examples include Certified Nurse Assistant (CNA), EKG technician, phlebotomist, and ultrasound technician.
Please check this link for more detailed information about ultrasound technician job: http://www.ardms.org/aboutardms/overview.htm
6. In order to work in US, regardless of the position and specialty, you must have work authorization. Please see the Immigration section of this Forum.